Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Switching to Cloth


I really enjoyed using cloth diapers with Joshua. We did it from the time he was little to shortly after solids because my personal rule is "If it's gross, I'm not doing it" and it wasn't gross until then. We decided to start cloth diapers with Clara. It is a money-saver and it really does allow more air in to help with diaper rash. When Joshua was very small, we tried "all-in-one" diapers, which are sort of like a washable pamper. Most people love them. I didn't. We ended up with "fitteds" which you use a plastic cover with. The cloth part is sewn into the shape of a diaper which is why it is called fitted. Since we got rid of all the tiny diapers we had since I didn't like them, I had to get more for Clara until she is big enough to fit into the ones we saved from Joshua. I didn't want to spend much money since those start at 10 pounds or so. I got prefolds, which despite their name are just flat pieces of cloth. They are the cheapest type of cloth diaper. Since most people don't use diaper pins anymore, you use a fastener called a snappi, which I am holding, along with a girly cover. I was a little intimidated at first, which is why I didn't use them for Joshua, but it's going really well and I think we have the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment