Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Wizard of Oz Halloween

For Halloween, we wanted the kids to have outfits to wear during the day before wearing their costumes at night. Meghan found matching dresses for Clara and Hannah, and I picked out a cool skeleton shirt for Joshua.

After dinner, we changed them into their costumes (the same ones they wore for Night of the Living Farm). Joshua is old enough to go trick-or-treating this year, so the plan was for all of us to be at our house for awhile during the initial burst of trick-or-treaters, and then Joshua and I would head out later. While we waited, our little Dorothy liked to look out the door, watching for new arrivals. When the time came for Joshua and I to leave, we practiced with him so he would know what to expect.  Our cowardly lion (I'd prefer to think of him as a timid lion) seemed to grasp the concept quickly, which is understandable, since the incentive is strong: You go up to people, say a particular phrase, and they give you candy. What a deal.

When it was time to go, we decided I might as well take Clara too. She can walk, but it would be too far for her to walk all the way, so I brought her in the stroller.  Joshua held my hand and walked everywhere, although we only barely went beyond our street.  At each house, I would say "Say 'trick or treat'" and in his cute little voice, he would say it. After receiving the candy from adults who were all too happy to give the little lion a sugary treat, I told him to say thank you, and he did. Clara happily rode along, largely indifferent to the transactions that were occurring. The whole thing went really well. Here we are upon our return. Our tiny flying monkey stayed home this year, but next year she might get to join in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment