Thursday, October 18, 2012

Some Great Pumpkins

I don't do projects with Joshua every day, but I try to do one we haven't done before about once a week and then, if he asks for a repeat in addition to that, I try to do it if it works out with what else is going on. If Joshua were older, I would carve a pumpkin with him at this time of year. But I don't think that would go well at his age. He also isn't quite old enough to draw a face on a pumpkin, though I think next year he will be able to do that. So this year we did a team effort on mini-pumpkin decorating. He painted the pumpkins and then I drew on faces when they were dry. A lot of times he doesn't love art, but he really enjoyed the painting. He especially liked painting the stems, which he decided were quite "yucko", at least without paint. I was surprised how much he liked the pumpkins after we put faces on them. It has been kind of a struggle to tell him they aren't for playing with, at least not yet. He wants to send them down the slide and that was causing some damage to the pumpkins and also wearing away the faces (I thought sharpie would be permanent, but I guess not). This project was definitely a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment