Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Perhaps Chartreuse Cabeuse?


Chartreuse is a color.  Although, for whatever reason, many people seem to think it's a pinkish-purple (perhaps confusing it with fuchsia?), it's actually a greenish-yellow.  I'm a pretty good speller, and it bugs me when things are spelled incorrectly.  But it bugs me even more when a company intentionally misspells a word (Kwik Shop, Shur Fine, Double Stuf Oreo, Reddi-Wip, etc.).  Tonight I met some friends for dinner at a place that specializes in philly sandwiches, called Chartroose Caboose.  I love their food, but I have a few problems with the restaurant.  First, they have a few locations, so I can't speak for all of them, but the one I've been to barely has anything to do with a caboose.  They do have a few train-type items on the walls, but it seems like a flimsy theme.  Second, there is nothing chartreuse about it.  Their corporate logo is chartreuse, but not a single thing anywhere in the restaurant, and not even the front sign, is chartreuse.  Finally, I get that chartreuse has an uncommon spelling in the English language.  And I get that rhyming is fun.  But it still totally bugs me that they changed the spelling of the word to be more similar to "caboose".  Stop dumbing down America!  I'll continue to eat their tasty sandwiches, but that won't stop me from being irritated by their name.

No comments:

Post a Comment