Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kickoff in the Desert


My company has an annual kickoff for the Sales and Marketing departments to start our new sales year.  This year it's in Palm Springs.  I'm assuming this is for the purpose of saving money, as no one voluntarily goes to Palm Springs in the summer because temperatures are similar to what they are now.  Yesterday, it got up to 119 degrees.  Not the heat index, the temperature.  119.  Crazy.  Today, though, it was a weak 110 degrees, though it had cooled down to only 102 by the time I landed.  They actually have a mostly open-air airport here.  I realize that it doesn't rain much, but it's as if they forgot that precipitation wasn't the only consideration.  In the Caribbean, it's fine to have airports like that, as the temperatures are reasonable.  But here, it seems like an indoor air-conditioned structure wouldn't have been a bad idea.  I was actually hoping it would still be 119 when we got here, as I was actually curious to find out what that would feel like.  Would I be able to feel my skin actually melting off the bone?  Who knows.  That was probably the closest I'll ever come to that experience, unfortunately.  Anyway, we'll be here for five days, mostly in the air-conditioned hotel, so the heat probably won't come into play too much anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment