Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pseudo-Eco


Last night I stayed in a hotel that was recently renovated to be a Marriott.  When I checked in, they told me it was an eco-hotel, and I would have to put my keycard in a slot when I got in the room if I wanted the lights to work.  Not sure of what this meant, I went to my room, and sure enough there was a slot right next to the light switch for me to insert my keycard.  After doing so, I was able to turn on the lights by using the switch.  This sort of seems like a good plan, except they give you two keycards when you check in, so there's not much motivation to do anything other than put one in the slot and leave it there during your stay, and then just use the other one to go in and out as needed.  So I'm not sure this accomplishes a whole lot.  Because my mom taught me to turn the light off after I leave a room, I always do that anyway if I'm going to be gone for more than a minute or two, so I suppose I'm not their target audience.  Anyway, I'd be curious to see the energy usage difference with this system implemented and how long it's in place before it finally offsets the cost of buying and installing everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment