Saturday, August 11, 2012

Faster, Higher, Stronger


I love the Olympics.  In general, I love pretty much every sport and every competition in life, and I really like learning about new sports.  The Olympics brings all of this together, as they give me exposure to a lot of sports that are never on TV at any other time (which is true for pretty much everything but basketball, really).  So it's interesting to me to learn the nuances of things like gymnastics but also the general rules of things like competitive kayaking.  And really, it's the way it should be for some of the lesser-known sports.  I can't invest time in following each and every obscure sport out there (I have to admit I didn't happen to know the latest news from the world of water polo, for example), so it's sort of nice to boil down four years of work by the best athletes in the world into an hour worth of programming for a given sport.  Convenient, right?  And having it all topped off with some pretty serious drama makes for must-see TV for me.  I went on a Facebook, Twitter, and espn.com fast all day each day until after the evening broadcast of the taped-delayed events from London, so I didn't know the results until they unfolded in front of me, which made for great TV.  The games are almost over, but they've been very memorable thanks to Gabby Douglas and the rest of the Fierce Five, Missy Franklin, Michael Phelps (sorry Ryan Lochte), Missy and Kerri, David Boudia, Usain Bolt, and multiple electric sprinting events.  Here the kids join me during tonight's telecast.  Joshua seemed to like to the diving more than anything else, for some reason.  The Olympics will be over soon, and I'm sad that I'll have to wait another four years for the next Summer Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment