Thursday, August 23, 2012

Teeny Tiny Lady Liberty


I'd never been to New York prior to this year, but I've now been five times, all of them for work trips. I've seen some iconic things, such as the Empire State Building, the New York Stock Exchange, the Brooklyn Bridge, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square, the guy dressed as the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, the Freedom Tower, the 9/11 Memorial, the Wall Street Bull, and even some scuzzy Occupy Wall Street protesters.  I've even seen Citi Field from the plane, though not in person, but Yankee Stadium is still eluding me.  But there was one main thing missing: The Statue of Liberty.  Every time I take off or land, I look out the airplane window scanning the landscape, hoping to catch a glimpse of it, but to no avail.  Despite my efforts, I'd never even laid eyes on it.  Until today.  We had a business lunch at a nice restaurant by the water, and as I looked out, I saw it.  Barely.  Way off in the distance, I finally had my first view of the most iconic American landmark.  So here is a picture of me with the Statue of Liberty.  Yes, it's that tiny spire rising from the horizon to the left of me.  Hopefully I'll get a better view at some point on an future trip.  It wouldn't take much.

No comments:

Post a Comment